I attended the Cadence CDNLive conference at the Santa Clara Convention Center on April 5 and 6, 2016 and had a chance to listen to four very thought provoking presentations given by the speakers. These presentations were combined to follow the keynote address given by Cadence CEO, Lip-Bu Tan and addressed several different aspects of the current semiconductor industry landscape.
• Lip-Bu Tan, CEO, Cadence Design Systems
• Steve Mollenkoph, CEO, Qualcomm
• Sanjay Jha, CEO, GLOBALFOUNDRIES
• Tom Beckley, Sr. Vice President and General Manager, Custom IC & PCB Group
Each presenter outlined areas that are poised to have a significant impact on our society or industry going forward:
• Lip-Bu Tan spoke about how efficiency in automobile usage can be increased, especially in urban areas. Large cities that operate their own fleets of vehicles to transport people and materials and manage the storage of the vehicles have an opportunity to improve those functions through more efficient autos. This would free up valuable land and maximize the use of resources. If managed efficiently, this could be applied to private vechiles as well.
• Steve Mollenkoph spoke about the looming rollout of 5G cellular technology and how 5G has been designed to facilitate mission critical services to be more useful to users at all levels of government, industry, and the average citizen.